Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Letters to Juliet

Picture courtesy of allmoviephoto.com
Goolphipp Award: 2.8 (Wait for DVD)

Phipps:
I was seriously excited for this movie. Two reasons: I'm a sucker for sap and I think Christopher Egan is a good looking chap. On the subject of the latter – he walks funny. On the subject of the former, well, I wasn't disappointed. This movie is everything you think it is...the trailer doesn't lie or mislead you. It's a chick flick, which if I'm being honest, will eventually worm it's way into my collection. What's nice about this movie is that it's a family movie. I don't remember a single thing that I wouldn't want my grandma to see. Letters is, of course, really predictable, which is always the number one complaint of critics. News flash, most people who watch chick flicks don't care. It's all about the sap. The dialogue was delivered with some snap. Franco Nero is a studly older guy. I must confess that being one of Juliet's secretaries would be a dream job. Overall, it's a safe bet for conservative audiences. It's a solid Girls Night Out movie.

Phipps overall: 3
Sapfest...and I liked it.

Goolsby:
Phipps is right. I have no idea why critics complain about predictability. Girls see these movie (and occasionally boys that get pulled along). These formula movie are staples to the movie world just like flour is to the kitchen. Aside from my supportive rant, I agree, this movie was good. Gave me what I expected and wanted. I was also happy to see that Gael Garcia Bernal who plays Victor, is getting some more mainstream American roles. I also thought that Vanessa Redgrave who plays the older role of Claire delivered some really touching moments with Amanda Seyfried. The cheese was a bit much for me to stomach. I'm more of a comedy girl and quirky movie person, but this movie was manageable. There is a scene in this movie where tourist who pay Juliet's balcony a visit in Italy can rub a statue of Juliet. This status really does exists, and it is good luck to rub her breast. True story. Looking back though, not really many memorable moments.

Goolsby overall: 2.75
For the cheesy balcony scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment