Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Friday, March 27, 2009

I Love You, Man

Picture courtesy of themovingpicture.net
Goolphipp Award: 3.75

Audience:
High school freshman +

I Love You, Man isn’t unusually crass, so it is approved for high school kids. But in our opinion, this movie deals with situations that would be most appreciated by post-college-age adults.
Goolsby: Fans of Rush, you must see this movie for the concert scene. I’m sure you will appreciate.

Where's the Humor: Spectrum
There is something for everyone in this one. You want fart jokes – check. Physical comedy – check. Are you a fan of the cruder sexual humor? Check.

Phipps: I liked the humor of this movie, because it had a little bit of everything – kept it interesting (and shocking). I especially liked that all the jokes seemed necessary given characters and plot. No jokes for the sake of jokes here. I don’t think I’d be too embarrassed watching I Love You, Man with my parents either, which is usually a mark of a winner.

Goolsby: Our first movie review actually has peanuts! At one point during the movie, over a table of empty beer glasses, Peter and Sydney discuss Andre the Giant’s drinking capacity. Of course, in true fashion, The Princess Bride quote comes out – “Anybody want a peanut?” Classic. It was snazzy one-liners like this that kept my snorts flowing. Even the deliver of the main line, “I love you man,” was framed and delivered well. But by far the best comedic thread throughout the movie was the crazy verbal-diarrhea nicknames Peter kept giving Sydney.

Storyline: Male Bonding
This movie kept it simple. Guy proposes to girl, and discovers he has no guy friends to be groomsmen.

Phipps: I Love You, Man doesn’t try to be more than it is, so viewers can just go along with for the ride. It does get its message across: don’t put your boyfriend/girlfriend above your friends…you just might end up with no friends. It’s enjoyable, and a great pick-me-up movie. It’s worth the price of admission.

Delivery: No complaints

Phipps: Paul Rudd was perfect for the role. He can pull off the timid “girlfriend guy” that lets loose in the man cave. Jason Segel also delivers in his role as the potential best friend. I’d bet that everyone who sees this movie will be able to see shades of a Peter Klaven or Sydney Fife in their life…I know I did. The supporting cast also was stellar. I have no complaints. In fact, all I can say is, “all hail the return of Lou Ferrigno!”

Goolsby: You cant half-ass the air guitar, and Paul Rudd did not. He owned it, and well at that. He even owned the man scream under the pier. All the actors in this movie gave it their all, and the audience can tell. I seriously believe that Rudd, in real life, is incapable of using an accent without it coming out like a Leprechaun voice – and that makes me smile.

Phipps overall: 3.5
It’s a solid movie. Enjoyable, but I’m not sure that I want to watch it over and over.

Goolsby overall: 4
You know it’s a winner when you think about it days later, and still laugh.

Goolphipp rating: 3.75 (No Peanuts Chucked)

Contact us at goolphipp@gmail.com.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you guys gave it a good review! I really wanna see it. You should've taken me! haha. Miss you two!

    David.

    ReplyDelete