Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

All About Steve

Picture courtesy of www.aceshowbiz.com

Goolphipp Award: 2 (See the Cheap Matinee)

Phipps:
All About Steve from the get-go reminded me of some other movie. Her red boots reminded me of Happy Go Lucky too much – crayon purple might have been a better choice. It was one of those movies where you had to grow to love the main character, and just when you wanted it all to work out – it simply doesn’t. At the end, you are left with your mouth hanging open in disbelief. It’s too bad, because you want this neurotically inclined, crossword-loving, smart girl to get the dude in the end. That being said, there were a lot of laughs along the way. I enjoyed the journey across the country with Mary. I did like the supporting cast. They were fun, and well cast. The details in this movie were stellar. Like I said, I would have loved this movie if Steve would have said, “When’s our second date?” at the end, but he didn’t. What’s a romance without a happy ever after? We need the kiss at the end. So, like Mary, we have to continue to search for a movie as normal as us.

Phipps overall: 2
Laughs kept it from being a total tanker.


Goolsby:

I agree with everything Phipps said. This movie marketed itself as a romantic comedy, not some coming of age movie. Therefore, I had expectations that were not met. Plain and simple. As you can tell from Phipps, the girl doesn't get the boy. The end was just sort of flat, not worthy of the character they build throughout the movie.

Want to hear the good things? We've got apple people carvings, a baby born with three legs, the classic scene of Mary falling down a mine hole, tornadoes, random outfits that don't match, and a crossword - all about Steve. All in all, that's not much. If I can't recall details that keep me laughing after the movie is said and done, it missed. I would say it had so much potential, but I would be lying. It had potential to be slightly more than average, but fell short because of the unsatisfying ending.

Goolsby overall: 2
Try again.

Contact us at goolphipp@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment