Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Hangover

Picture courtesy of www.screencrave.com
Goolphipp Award: 4.3

Audience: College +

Goolsby: It’s a bachelor party set in Vegas, so nudity, drinking, drugs, gambling, and more is guaranteed. I think is more of a guy movie, but I loved it and I’m a girl.

Phipps: No one under 17. Parents, I don’t want to see your 12-year-old son in this movie! It’s not appropriate. For adults in the world, it was unexpectedly funny…and it wasn’t as raunchy as I thought it would be. In fact, the worse nudity/drinking/gambling (the general crazy Vegas behavior that offends) is featured as the credits roll, and you see images of what really happened the night before. Watch out for that if you’re a bit more conservative.

Storyline: Flashback treasure hunt
A bachelor party gone wrong– bachelor is missing. The storyline uses flashbacks to tell the story. Their ultimate goal the wedding.

Phipps: Inventive storyline, I thought. Simple, fresh, and totally ripe for hilarious happenings! Brings together all the strangeness of people getting a little too tossed in Vegas. This is one instance where you have to dredge up what happened in Vegas!

Where’s the Humor: Non-stop fast lane freeway

Phipps: The guy with the missing tooth, played by Ed Helms, stole my heart. It was reported that Ed Helms is actually missing a tooth, and had the fake, implant tooth removed for the filming. Yes, yes…it was really gone. Warms my heart. There was a good variety of humor over all, which surprised me. I expected it to be on the crass side the entire time, and was pleased that there was plenty of physical comedy and witty one-liners to balance.

Goolsby: I could not stop laughing the whole time. If it wasn’t one thing it was another. The character Alan, played by Zach Galifianakis, was ridiculously random. Alan is the weird brother in-law that sports a wolf print t-shirt and a man purse. Love it. There was plenty of physical comedy, as well as dry humor too. All the way to the end, including the credits, I was smirking or laughing about something. The story about the missing tooth is pure classic. And who steals a lion?!

Delivery: Sharp and quick

Goolsby: The character of Phil played by Bradley Cooper, is point on. He’s the arrogant jerk you just have to like. Not to mention he’s a looker, who looks cherry-up in a suit. Everyone did a really good job. They delivered their lines convincingly throughout. Everyone kept to their character personalities. I hope, hope, hope that there is a blooper reel on the DVD.

Phipps: Funny men committing to off-the-wall characters! I know this was a stretch for Bradley Cooper, who always pulls off the “jerk” role, but it was nice to see that he has some comedic timing too! Mr. Zach Galifianakis stole the show, hands down. It was a breakout performance for him.

Phipps overall: 4
Solid 4. I’m not partial to the comedies, especially those on the crass side, but this movie did win me over.

Goolsby overall: 4.75
As far as adult humor goes, this is up there with the best of em’. It will definitely be added to my collection when it comes out on DVD.

Goolphipp award: 4.3 (No peanuts chucked)

Contact us at goolphipp@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment