Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Proposal

Picture courtesy of www.qdmag.com
Goolphipp Award: 3.9 (Worth 11 Bucks)

Goolsby:
This romantic comedy delivers the goods. Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock have this weird chemistry that works in an odd way. I loved the character Andrew Paxton (Reynolds) – he was obtainable in that down to earth way. I love the dynamic of the Paxton family too. The hard working dad Joe (Craig Nelson), the fitting mother Grace (Mary Steenburgen), and the most random grandmother I’ve seen on film in a long time (Betty White). Betty White randomly does this nature dance that ends up into a rendition of “Get Low” by Lil’ Jon.

It was a good mix with a clean simple plot, not complicated or drawn out. It was evenly paced and contained all the elements you need for a grade-A romantic comedy. And that Ryan Reynolds is sure dang dashing.

Oh, just remember the dog! There is a dog that get swooped up by a hawk, and I swear, it was the best.

Goolsby overall: 4.75
As far as romantic comedies go, it was great. If I ever go to Alaska, I’m for sure going to Sitka (even though the movie wasn’t filmed there).


Phipps:
I felt that Reynolds and Bullock had about zero romantic chemistry; they had chemistry as friends or siblings, sure, but I don’t think they were feeling amour. I just couldn’t buy it. That being said, this movie was light-hearted and fun. Reynolds, of course, is hilarious and dare I say it, hunky in Alaskan flannels.

The storyline was typical, but Alaska helps…as does Betty White’s crazy character. Loved the “baby-maker” quilt. Of course, I’m always won over by crazy families and dog-snatching eagles.

It’s a good escape, but I won’t buy it...but then again, Ryan Reynolds is a stud. He can “propose” to me any day!

Phipps overall: 3
It’s middle of the road. Keep it for a DVD rental or a girl’s night out.


Contact us at goolphipp@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment