Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Friday, November 13, 2009

The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day

Picture courtesy of www.laist.com
Goolphipp Award: 3.75 (Worth 11 Bucks)

Phipps:
All hail the return of the Saints! They are definitely older. The movie started off in the wilds of Ireland with insanely fake beards. Needless to say, it was a really rocky start. It took a good chunk of the movie to get back into the swing of things. Once you were in the groove, there were tons of jokes referencing the first movie, which were hilarious. It seemed like the movie had just embraced the campiness we all know and love. Believe it or not, Rocco returns to the story, and it was done well. Replacing Rocco, is a spry Mexican kid called Romeo, who actually has more of a brain than our Funny Man. Our favorite trio of detectives were back, enjoying a bigger role. Willem Dafoe’s place was, as lead FBI investigator, replaced by Julie Benz. Plot was a little unexpected, the Saints’ Dad being at the center. Like I said, it was rocky at times. However, the last ten minutes of the movie must be seen by every Boondock Saints fan. In the words of another reviewer, Writer/Director Troy Duffy “pulled a rabbit out of a hat.” I agree. My jaw dropped, hit the floor, and stayed there. I was flabbergasted in the best way possible. Go check out the best kept secret on film.

Phipps overall: 3.5
For the last ten, baby.


Goolsby:
I was excited for this movie, very. Phipps is right, it had a rocky start, but panned out in the end. The last ten minutes definitely going the extra mile. I think the second half of the movie was well done though. It paid homage to the greatness of the first one, but also brought a unique story too. However, I don't think the plot packed enough umph for me. I wanted to be completely blown out of the water, and I wasnt.


When you have such stellar performances from all the characters in the first one, its hard not to feel like each part is being replaced. The new Rocco is obvious and the new Dafoe was even more obvious. That was a bit disappointing. It's almost like making your grandma's famous cookies, just because the recipe works so well, doesn't mean that you cant tweak it. This movie delivered what I was expecting, but I still wanted a crunch.

There are a few scenes that just made my heart smile, so cleverly done. The old bartender with tourettes is one of my favorites. I want to say more, but can't! Go see it!

Goolsby overall: 4
For the old man and black cat cameo!

Contact us at goolphipp@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment