Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

Picture courtesy of screerant.com
Gool Award: 4 (No Peanuts Chucked)

Goolsby:
I saw this movie by myself and really enjoyed it. Overall this movie has a strange feel to it. I'm not sure if it was seeing Heath Ledger in his last acting role, or if it was the content of the film. I didn't have any strange dreams which is good, considering this movie is like consecutive acid trips. I knew that it would be like that coming in, so I was prepared. The movie is full of color and character. Good, evil, imagination, and reality. This movie constantly forces opposites together.

The basic plot - Dr. Parnassus can expose people to their full imagination by letting them pass through a mirror into an imagination reality controlled by his mind. Dr. Parnassus uses their imagination and multiplies it by a million. Once in the imagination world they are presented with an opportunity, here comes the good versus evil part. The plot pivots on a bet Dr. Parnassus makes with the devil.

Dr. Parnassus is played by Christopher Plummer and Tony is played by Heath Ledger, Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell. Ledger died mid-way through filming and this movie used the imagination world to accommodate his passing. Every time Tony passes through the mirror into the imagination world his appearance changes. It was seamlessly done, and explained well in the very beginning of the movie.

This movie was dark and bright all at the same time. Ledger's performance was very strange. The character Tony is this sort of abandoned misguided guy.

Randomly, there were quite a few funny parts, and I appreciated that. I say go see this movie if you are up for a random crazy ride.

Goolsby overall: 4
I wonder what my imagination world would look like...

Contact us at goolphipp@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment