Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Remember Me

Picture courtesy of glamourvanity.com

Goolphipp Award: 3.6 (Worth 11 Bucks)


Goolsby:
Well, it's no wonder why we went to see this movie. Pattz and the promise of a teaser trailer for Eclipse - we're suckers.

This movie sort of grows on you, but only after you forgive it for it's extremely slow place. This movie takes its sweet time on getting to the point. I would say that this movie doesn't follow a typical plot line. It is more of a snapshot of someone's life. Sure, you get the background like any plot, but it's only in the interaction between characters that it all comes out. Once you accept the slow meandering pace, it starts to get good.

Who stole the show? A little girl. Ruby Jerins plays the younger sister Caroline to the lost older brother Tyler, played by Robert Pattinson. Every scene she was in, she steals the stage. I was reminded of Jae Head from The Blind Side. These up and coming actors are grade-A all the way.

The ending packed a punch for me. I had done no research on this film and was a little surprised at how it ended. The title of course hints at someone dying... Remember Me... "Someone's got to die," is what we kept saying during the previews. I won't spoil anything, but it was handled very well.

Some odd things, Pattz's kissing style is exactly the same as in the Twilight series. It was strange to see him opposite someone other than Kristen Stewart. Emilie de Ravin played the role of Ally Craig, Tyler's love interest. I'm familiar with her from Roswell, but hadn't seen her in a while. All the performances were okay. Pierce Brosnan plays a strong father role, and I was impressed with his ability to cover up his accent. Kudos. I wish there were more similarities between the son and father.

Goolsby overall: 3.75

I was expecting horrible and was surprised.

Phipps:
Well, as Goolsby said, you go into this movie knowing that someone is going to die. So, I wasn't all that surprised, but I felt that it was done well...and respectfully, I might add. I think that covers the biggest point of controversy for Remember Me.

As Goolsby said, the pace was incredibly slow. So slow that we pretended to slit our wrists a couple of times, which is actually quite disrespectful since one of the themes in Remember Me is suicide. I felt like I lost two years of my life in this movie. That being said, I've sat through worse...such as The Assassination of Jesse James (which made watching paint dry sound like attending the Superbowl). The cause of the slow pace was lack of plot, this movie is completely character driven.

The actors portraying those characters did a great job. I swear, Pierce Brosnan never gives a bad performance, and it was a good transition role for him too - playing the older guy/dad roles. Pattz is learning, and my one complaint is that he needs to learn to quit looking away on important lines/scenes. In life, when people deliver those lines, we generally look people in the face. That's about my only complaint. Ruby Jerins reminded me of Dakota Fanning in terms of acting ability. I agree with Goolsby, she stole every scene.

At the end of the day, I cared about the characters. And while the ending was tough to watch, all the conflict had been wrapped up in a tidy bow, which made the ending tragic, but not senseless. In fact, I'd say the last 5 minutes of the movie were the best moments.


Phipps overall: 3.5

For the last 5 minutes.


Contact us at goolphipp@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment