Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Just Wright

Picture courtesy of woooha.com
Goolphipp Award: 3.5 (See the Cheap Matinee)

Phipps:
Confession – I own a couple Queen Latifah movies, and I've seen most of her movies at one point. I've come to the conclusion that you can count on Ms. Latifah to deliver an decent movie. And this one is no different. I have a feeling I will eventually buy this one, just because I identify so much with Leslie's (Latifah) character. Again, this movie is pretty mainstream, but isn't stale. It's still funny and charming. I personally was bummed out because Leslie was always the gal pal, and it took her until she was 35 to find the right guy. Oi – it's like arsenic to a single lady such as myself. But my personal depression aside, this movie is worth seeing. And multiple generations will appreciate it...and will not be offended in the process. It's a good time. What I liked most about this movie was the depiction of the different types of women – it's a little too true. I'm thinking that most people will find something to like.

Phipps overall: 3.5
For all us Leslies out there.

Goolsby:
I love Queen Latifah. Last Holiday is one of my favorite movies, her and Gerard Depardieu just make me smile. Phipps mentioned the different type of women this movie depicts. So true. Ugh. Those conniving women who will say and do anything, but push come to shove, they cant hack it. Latifah's character Leslie is real and down to earth. I loved her hooptie car with its special dimple (major dent). One of the things in this movie that really kinda peeved me is Leslie's mother. There is this scene when the mom is about to hand over these special earrings that she met her husband in to one of the girls, and she hands them to the skanky liar of a cousin instead of her own daughter. Poor Leslie. You really get invested in this character. But what erks me is the fact that the mother never really seemed to apologize or own her wrongs in front of Leslie. You see the mother watching the TV and realizing just how special her daughter is, but never to her face. I thought Leslie's father LLoyd, played by James Pickens Jr. (who is known as Dr. Webber on Grey's Anatomy), did a great job. He really owned the more mature father role. Oh... I don't really follow rap music, but the main guy is the rapper Common. Can he act? Yea, I guess. It wasn't an amazing performance, but convincing enough.

Goolsby overall: 3.5
Solid movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment