Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Photo courtesy of truthoncinema.com
Goolphipp Award: 3 (See the Cheap Matinee)

Goolsby:
This movie is Aladdin meets The Mummy. Brendan Frasier is getting old, and after seeing Jake Gyllenhaal's performance as Dastan in Prince of Persia, I can rest easy knowing the corny-action-hunk role has a formidable predecessor. This movie did seem a little long-winded. There wasn't a constant flow, felt like the breaks between action and plot set up were obvious and not well integrated. The corny was husky, and I loved it. In fact, I wouldn't have minded a bit more corniness. Most of the action parts, the running around and jumping off crazy things, was fairly believable. I had seen an interview before the movie came out about the sport Gyllenhaal trained in, called Parkour. Parkour is the act of using your surroundings to efficiently and with speed, get to your destination. Basically act like a spider-monkey and do crazy things. There were only a few jumps that were hard to believe, but those get swept under the rug as gimme-points. Only a few stylized hotness shots. The ones where the hot people, in this case Gyllenhaal, suddenly burst onto scene in slow motion. I liked this movie, it was what I was expecting, and it was full of a great supporting cast.

Goolsby overall: 3
Made me laugh, smile, and shake my head all at once.

Phipps:
Well, I literally could not watch the trailer for The Prince of Persia without laughing. The cheesiness didn't seem like it was going to be my style. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't too over the top, and mostly stuck to the The Mummy type of cheese - which I happen to like. There was decent action. Gyllenhaal sported a Brit accent, which I must say, wasn't horrible. I imagine it helped to have natural Brits around to help. There was enough romance for girls and enough action for guys. There were enough jokes to satisfy most humors as well. I think it's a good date movie, honestly. There is something for everyone. I really liked the theme of adoption and family throughout. This movie was predictable to a certain extent - as most movies are - but it was an interesting journey. It's not the best summer movie I've seen, but if it's at the cheap theater, don't hesitate to take your family. I'm glad I saw it, but I hope there is not a sequel...not enough oomph for a second.

Phipps overall: 3
Solid, but not wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment