Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

(500) Days of Summer

Picture courtesy of allmoviephoto.com
Goolphipp Award: 4.6 (No Peanuts Chucked)

Phipps:
Despite 500 being completely upfront about the lack of love story, I was still kind of depressed afterward. But that's me, and my movie preference showing. I want sunshine and roses at the end...not a possible high of 75.

That being said, I do have to admit that 500 was charming. It was real, too, even with all the dancing and Han Solo sightings. I do have to appreciate a film that can present a relationship with both sides - the good and the ugly - equally and honestly. I liked that Tom and Summer weren't extraordinary in any way from the average human. Heck, their relationship developed much like any other - over days and weeks. None of this fall-into-the-sack stuff. It felt natural, and it was easy to identify with them. It was kinda nice seeing a boy freak out about a girl without being emasculated in the process.

I was charmed by Gordon-Levitt and found myself wanting to be on the receiving end of some of those looks. And of course, everybody wants to be a Zooey Deschanel clone. The supporting cast was also perfect, which allowed for Summer and Tom to shine.

I thought the use of days was ingenious. In fact, I thought the set-up of the entire film was ingenious. The end may not have been my cup of joe, but I can't deny the ingenuity and charm.

Phipps overall: 4.5
Like I said...can't deny the ingenuity and charm.

Goolsby:
(500) Days of Summer was refreshing. I loved the concept of the love story – or lack of love story. From the get go, a narrator says “This is not a love story.” Pay attention and don’t expect something else. The plot moves back and forth between the early days of their relationship to the end days. You would think this could be confusing, but it was done seamlessly. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who plays the loveable greeting card writer Tom, lets his subtle facial expressions sway the audience. There was also a neat role reversal that I appreciated. Soft emotional boy meets the independent woman. I still can’t decide who I relate to more, Tom or Summer. I liked the feeling of being split between the two characters – usually I relate to one character more than the other.

This movie also included various movie spoofs. I love it when movies incorporate and play off of other movies. From the Enchanted based choreographed post-sex dance (with the cartoon blue bird to boot) to the Han Solo reflection. Classic all the way. And very, very appreciated and well received.

And who doesn’t want to be Zooey Deschanel? Jealous. I love her quirky nature. The whole movie was quirky, but done in this amazing way. There is this scene where a split screen is used to show reality and expectations – it was heart wrenching and awesome at the same time.

We saw this movie last night and I’m still smiling about it. What I really liked about the movie is that it is not a love story. The real basis is about coincidence. Life is just a string of random moments and people. I relate to Tom. He’s found himself at a job and point in his life that favors indifference more than anything. There’s a turning point in the movie when Tom erases this chalkboard wall, and draws his future. That is the biggest pull in this movie.

Goolsby overall: 4.75
Draw your own future and make your own coincidences - that’s why I loved it so much.


Contact us at goolphipp@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment