Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Friday, October 2, 2009

Fame

Picture courtest of noctupad.wordpress.com
Goolphipp Award: 2.5 (See the Cheap Matinee)

Goolsby:
Performing arts and drama. I’m curious after seeing this film what the original is like. I guess this movie just wasn’t my cup of tea. There were some amazing performances. A lot of talent in the film, but I wasn’t blown away by anything.

I think the best part of the film for me, or the story line that I liked the most, was the character of Joy played by Anna Maria Perez de Tagle (gosh that’s a long name). She gets a role working for Sesame Street, and it just made me smile. Who wouldn’t want to work for Sesame Street?! Dream job.

Anyway. Not much to say about this one. The cast is very talented, did a great job.

Goolsby overall: 2.5
Nothing special for me, but it also didn’t disappoint or surprise me.

Phipps:
I’m with Goolsby on this movie. I’m usually a sucker for musicals or dance movies, but this movie didn’t put stars in my eyes. There were a couple great musical performances, which I then ran home and purchased on iTunes. I thought Asher Book’s vocal performances were top notch. Naturi Naughton also has a great set of pipes.

But there was something missing. There was no magic.

There were a lot of adults at our showing to see a teen movie, and I can only attribute this to the original, which won their heart 30 years ago…and never really let them go. That magic, that draw, of the original was missing. I’ve never seen the original, but my fellow audience members showed me that it might be worth seeing.

This movie didn’t grab you. It didn’t make you want to be a dancer or a singer. It didn’t make you want to dream big.

Phipps overall: 2.5
Buy the soundtrack, rent the DVD.


Contact us at goolphipp@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment