Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant

Picture courtesy of www.seanax.com
Goolphipp Award: 4.5 (No Peanuts Chucked)

Phipps:
I saw Cirque du Freak solo the first time, then I dragged Goolsby the second time. I’ve already invested twenty bucks into this movie. I’m plotting to beg, steal, or borrow all the books. I thought this movie was wonderful. Great characters, great action, vampires, a bearded lady, small hand-biting little monsters, and a great big spider – what more do you need? This movie isn’t a little kid movie…and it isn’t quite a grown-up movie…and it isn’t quite High School Musical. It’s quirky and resists labels. But definitely know your kid, because it’s not Cinderella. I thought the performances were solid. The plot was great. I want people to go see it, and I’m hoping against hope that they make the second movie. This one is going to added to my collection, make no mistake.

Phipps overall: 4.5
I wave the freak flag.

Goolsby:
I loved this movie. It was my special brand of quirky. I think this movie got swept under the rug because it has “vampire” in the title. Everyone knows that vampires are getting pimped out left a right since the craze of Twilight. Cirque du Freak is not Twilight, and it is not a romance – it’s pure awesomeness!

As Phipps said, the target audience is a bit varied, but I think most adults will appreciate some aspect of this movie. I particularly like the Snake Boy, played by Patrick Fugit who starred in Almost Famous. The makeup artist did an awesome job. Stellar.

On a more high-level topic, I think this movie is reflective of a modern family. Family isn’t always your own flesh and blood, it can be a group of like-minded freaks. I felt like I became part of the freak family, and I liked it. This movie surprises you left and right. John C. Reilly who plays the vampire was on spot! It was so refreshing to see him in a more mature and subtle role.

And if Phipps gets those books, I’ll be borrowing them too!


Goolsby overall: 4.5
I loved the small goblin hand-biting guys.

Contact us at goolphipp@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment