Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Monday, October 19, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are

Picture courtesy of www.wearemoviegeeks.com

Goolphipp Award: 3.25 (Worth 11 Bucks)

Phipps:
I
was never a big fan of Where the Wild Things Are growing up. But I am a fan of children's fantasy movies, and that's what this film promised in the preview. Crazy amazing Wild Things.

I had a hard time with this movie. I liked some of the pieces, which bears mentioning - performances, costume, cinematography. The whole cast did a wonderful job. The Wild Things did look awesome...CGI faces looked great. Cinematography was solid.

I didn't like that the pace was slow. I know director Spike Jonze was focusing on emotion, but it just took too long to get it. I would be amazed by something, then bored. It felt a little forced at times.

The comedic moments were stellar. I wish there would have been more. This movie was like a stone in your stomach - I needed more laughs and less raw emotions. I have a firm belief that the major camps of people fall into one of the Wild Things. I would be Judith, voiced by Catherine O'Hara. (And I swear, they modeled the ram-like Wild Thing after Seth Green.)

Even so, the biggest problem I have with this movie, is Max never says he's sorry - to the Wild Things or to his mother. I was simply flabbergasted. That's not the message I want to go out to kids. Because this is what I heard, "You don't have to say sorry no matter what you do or who you hurt. People will just know. Especially if you give them a hug." But as a grown-up, I know that isn't true. People need to hear the "I'm sorry," combined with the hug. I will not be showing this film to my children until they are old enough to disregard the "non-sorry policy" that Wild Things promotes.

AND this film showcased a big sister, Claire, who didn't take care of her kid brother when he was crying. It was really sad, and an insult to big sisters everywhere.

I wanted to get lost and run wild in this movie, but that just didn't happen.

Phipps overall: 2.5
Put together well, which saves it.

Goolsby:
I grew up with this book, and the short cartoon feature that circulated when I was a kid too. I have always loved anything animal based. I approached this movie differently. The biggest gimme in the movie was the characters. It's hard conveying consistent personality in heavy hot costumes. The faces were CG enhanced of course, but that doesn't mean that takes care of everything. The people who have to do the live action do a fantastic job. A true character has to be believable in physical actions as well. From the quiet, never heard Seth Green lookalike goat named Alexander, to the loud confident Carol, these wild things came to life.

I was very excited to see this movie, and I think it gave me what I wanted the most. Awesome live action costumes and seamless CG integration.

On the other hand, it was much more intense than I anticipated. I think the raw anger emotions could have been relayed in a less destructive manner. A dirt clod fight with giant beasts is unsafe! And come on, someone's arm gets ripped off! Who cares that there wasn't any blood, it is still an appendage! Comedy was selective but well placed as Phipps said. The stick arm replacement Douglas receives takes the cake.

All in all, I got what I was looking for- beautiful cinematography and awesome costumes. Parents should really think about taking their children, but as an adult, I can overlook the message and appreciate what I love.

Goolsby overall: 4
Still worth it I think.

Contact us at goolphipp@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment