Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Armored

Photo courtesy of daemonsmovies.com
Goolphipp Award: 2.5 (See the Cheap Matinee)

Goolsby:
Oi. This movie was slow. I've seen slower movies, but this one just couldn't decide what type of movie it wanted to be. More than half of the movie was the build up to the show down. Basic plot- bunch of guys down on their luck decide to steal money from one of their armored trucks they drive. Of course one guy grows a conscious and the conflict is born. The build up took far too long. Once the action did start happening it was great. I love smart characters. We got suckered into this movie because of Milo Ventimiglia, and I'm sure we'll get suckered into any other movies he does. He continues to make bad decisions though, such as Pathology which stands to be the only movie I have ever walked out of. None the less, we learned that Milo needs to work on his dying skills and control his noises. Phipps and I talked through the whole movie, never a good sign. Meh, that's what I got to say about this movie, meh.

Oh, oh, one more thing. I correctly identified a semi-obscure actor all on my own (a major achievement for me). Skeet Ulrich, best known for his role in Scream. I recognized him from The Craft and The Newton Boys. Kudos to me.

Goolsby overall: 2.75
Too little, too late.

Phipps:
This movie had its moments, but I was hoping for more. In the end, the build-up to the robbery should have taken a max of a half hour - and I could actually see it done well, too. There should have been more of logistics being discussed, plans being made, etc. This was not like the Ocean's movies or The Italian Job. I'm guessing the writers of the film had this idea about stealing armored trucks...and then didn't know how to make it stretch into a full-length film, so they dropped in all this dramatic dialogue and attempted angst.

The only interesting thing about this movie is when Ty, played by Columbus Short, finally switches into fighting mode. He does some amazing things. But, all the cool stuff happened in the last twenty minutes...and by then, Goolsby and I were obsessed with Matt Dillon's strange facial structure and Milo Ventimiglia's hair.

Good actors, good cinematography - but the script failed them.

Phipps overall: 2.3
The script actually matters.

Contact us at goolphipp@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment