Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Monday, December 7, 2009

Pirate Radio

Picture courtest of icnetwork.co.uk

Goolphipp Award: 4.6 (No Peanuts Chucked)

Goolsby:
I loved this movie. Hands down. I actually turned to Phipps half way through the movie and said, "I want to be part of this film." We knew the music was going to be awesome, but it was also very very well placed. The person that placed the songs, well they deserve an A+ for sure. The characters were loveable and the storyline obvious but timeless. You knew how it all ended of course - rock would prevail! There are certain parts of this movie that will stay with me for a long time to come. One question though, why do all the girls in this movie sleep with the fat man Dave played by Nick Frost? I'll never know. I'm a big fan of Bill Nighy and he gave a great performance again. I think everyone on this film just really had a great time and it shows. From overboard condoms, token lesbians, 1960's clothes, a beast named Bob, cheating wives, a game of high-seas chicken, and a man named Twatt, this movie rocked. Oh, and by the way, the stunning Tom Sturridge has new fans for life. A must see for any music lover.

Goolsby overall: 4.75
She loves you yea, yea, yea she does!


Phipps:
I really loved this movie. It was fun, and it's true, I wished I could don a Twiggy dress and step onto the Radio Rock boat. I appreciated the little things: the authentic posters, the vinyl, the occasional boa, and the pick-up line, "how about it then?" There's some serious characters in this movie, and all loveable...even Bob the Beast. But you know, being a conservative person, what I loved most, is that this movie is really about the music! It's a period piece, but they didn't capitalize on the "free love" aspect as much as I thought they would. I just found myself swept away in what the Count called, "the best days of [their] lives."

Performances...stellar, of course...everyone delivered. Cinematography...check. Sound...amazing. It was all good. It was just an adventure. I think it's one of the few good movies I've seen this year. So, you should see it too.

Phipps overall: 4.5
Board the boat and get ready to rock.

Contact us at goolphipp@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment