Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Monday, December 7, 2009

An Education

Picture courtesy of www.moviecitynews.com

Goolphipp Award: 3 (Worth 11 Bucks)

Goolsby:
When I saw that the screenplay was written by Nick Hornby, I sort of new what was coming, or at least knew how I would react to what was coming. Nick Hornby is most famous for the movie adaptation of About a Boy. I'm now curious about the memoir that An Education is based on. This movie is a period piece set in the 1960's of London. The all too wise teenage girl finds out just how little she knows about the world. I actually thought Carey Mulligan, who plays the main character Jenny, gave a really great performance. I did get icky Humbert Humbert vibes from Peter Sarsgaard in his role as David, way too close to flashbacks of Lolita for me. This says a lot, that creeper vibe is often hard to pull off and he did it very well... creepy. At the end of the movie I felt Jenny did not really learn her lesson. Phipps said that I just wanted something more tragic to happen to her, but I think it is really about the end message. I think teenage girls in movies lately get away with too much. I want a harsher reality depicted on screen. Go see it for the great period clothing, the on point performances, and a message none the less.

Goolsby overall: 3.0
Creepster.

Phipps:
I read a review of this movie and the author made the comment, "I can't decide if Peter Sarsgaard is sexy or creepy." I agree. He was kind of sexy and creepy at the same time, which is totally strange and totally perfect for the plot. You wanted him to be the dashing, romantic older man, but at the same time, you knew he was shady-cady. So, I thought it worked.


In fact, I thought all performances in this movie were fairly exceptional. Not over the top, or too obvious, but close to life. Subtle. You knew there was something shady about these guys, but their smiles said something different. Isn't that just like life?

Carey Mulligan is going to be an actress to watch, I think. Oscar nod for this role is a possibility.

As for the plot, there was one thing I hated, which vibes a bit with what Goolsby said - I hated that Jenny swept her experience under the rug. I was alright with the outcome, because she had to humble herself and realize the value of a proper education, realize the quality of those who taught her. It was literally the last two minutes...when Jenny says (paraphrasing) "I looked like all the other school girls, but I wasn't, not really. Once a boy asked me to Paris, and I said, I would like to see Paris, as if I'd never been." So in effect, she swept it under the rug, like she'd never learned a lesson or been a precarious situation, and I suppose simply lies - through omission - about this area of her life. I thought that was lame.

I thought An Education raised some good questions about fun and diligence, and the proper ways to go about both. So, I do think there is some value to this film, apart from the last two minutes.

As for the audience, college age plus, if you please.

Phipps overall: 3
For solid performances, being a brilliant period piece, and one sexy, yet creepy, older man.

Contact us at goolphipp@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment