Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Valentine's Day

Photo courtesy of www.yourmoviestuff.com
Goolphipp Award: 3.1 (Worth 11 Bucks)

Phipps:
This movie was alright. I'm not a fan of vignette movies (not even Love Actually won me over), so if you like them, you will probably like this movie too. I have to say, I liked this movie better than Love Actually. I think this movie did a better job of connecting all the stories. Everybody and their brother (including both McDreamy and McSteamy!) was in this movie...all giving solid performances, except Taylor Swift. It was like the girl was on uppers. I did like where things landed at the end - spoiler alert! I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised that the 18-year-olds did not have sex...and that it was okay to wait (for a bit at least). In this society, I was quite shocked by that (although, I really appreciated it)! I think my favorite moment was the Moorpark Blvd. discussion, being that I live fifteen minutes away from Moorpark, California, and where everyone seems to get that Moorpark spelled backwards is "kraproom." It was a local joke and I laughed very loudly! And I did appreciate Taylor Lautner's falls and jumps in the movie - I'm always impressed by how talented the kid is.
Overall, this is a fun watch. Don't overthink it.

Phipps overall: 3.25
A fun, fluffy movie.

Goolsby:
I'm a huge fan of Love Actually, so this movie was right up my alley. In these types of movies you always like some stories more than the others. I really like Julia Robert's story and Ashton Kutcher's too. This movies gives you a wide range of the walks of love, and I liked being able to see all of them.


Here is a complaint, in Love Actually the story of father-son duo, (Daniel) Liam Neeson and (Sam) Thomas Sangster is the basic little boy in love plot. The girl that the little boy goes after is Indian. In Valentine's Day, we've got the same plot down to the Indian girl! If Hollywood if trying to be "diverse" then why not make her some other race? Goodness. So I was a little upset to see some all too similar plot lines when compared to Love Actually. I guess when a good formula works, you use it.


I like this movie, not as much as other similar types though. Oh... I had heard some stuff before seeing the movie about Taylor Swift's poor acting chops. I'm afraid everyone is right. I know she was supposed to be playing a ditz, but if we look to Anna Kendrick, who plays a ditsy teenager in Twilight, the comparison is easy to read. You can play a ditz but still act- Anna Kendrick wins that race any day.

Goolsby overall: 3
Good laughs.
Contact us at goolphipp@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment