Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Dear John

Picture courtesy of imdb.com
Goolphipp award: 3.8 (Worth 11 Bucks)

Goolsby:
We're suckers for a good love story. I really enjoyed this movie. I understand why they marketed this movie the way they did - with it following in the footsteps of the now classic Notebook, but I felt the real gem of this movie was not the main romance. The on screen bond between Channing Tatum and Richard Jenkins was really special to watch. Jenkins plays John's developmentally challenged father. It was never clarified if the father was autistic or suffered from Asperger's Syndrome, but either way, Jenkins did a stellar job. Whenever the two were on screen together they stole the whole shebang. Kudos for one of the best father-son performances I've ever seen. I would also say that their relationship was more profound and intense than the chemistry between Tatum and Amanda Seyfried. I must say, the father-son duo brought the most water works from me.

I have never read a Nicholas Sparks book, but I enjoyed the current plot setting of this story. John meets Savannah while on leave, and ends up enlisting for a further stay. We get to follow his journey through the 9/11 attack and onward. Unlike a period piece, I think this story hit home a bit harder for some people.

The soundtrack was also well placed and matched. It never felt too over powering or interfered with the movie.

Goolsby overall: 4.25
Bring the tissues.

Phipps:
I liked this movie. I definitely cried...and probably would have bawled like a baby if the group of ladies in front of us hadn't been talking up a storm. I think what I liked most about this movie is it didn't feel fake. I mean, the characters didn't do anything extraordinary...they weren't super special. Instead, they felt like ordinary folk living an ordinary life, which is in no way a dig. I like romances that are realistic (as well as sweet). I don't think this movie matches The Notebook, and I don't think it will be as widely embraced by men. So, it might be best to keep this a Girls Night Out movie...then you can let yourself get all splotchy from crying. As Goolsby said, the father-son aspect of this movie was amazing. It was difficult to watch, but you understood why things were the way they were. One more thing, Channing Tatum is a pretty decent crier, and that's important when you are trying to build your career. I would like to see him in a role that incorporated less action, even though he excels in projecting emotion through action. As a whole, Dear John didn't disappoint.

Phipps overall: 3.5
A snapshot of real life.

Contact us at goolphipp@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment