Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Book of Eli

Picture courtesy of www.collider.com
Goolphipp award: 3.5 (Worth 11 Bucks)

Goolsby:
When I watched this movie I was not focusing on the religious aspects.

The plot was fine. The acting was great. The shooting style fit well. All in all though, I expected more. I did appreciate the little details. I liked how the water source was provided by cave lakes. The post apocalyptic world that was created was in sync and complete. I appreciate the survival aspect of this movie. I also liked an old couple that we meet towards the end of the movie. I love resourceful characters.

Phipps and I had to agree to disagree when discussing the ending of this movie. I won't give it away since it is the main point of the movie... but I would be interested in what other people had to say about Eli's revelation.

From a non-religious view, I think the ultimate message or messages, that this movie gave were well portrayed and placed. What I took from it was - What do you have left when everything is gone? What do you really need when everything is gone?

Goolsby overall: 3
Solid movie.

Phipps:
I thought this movie was out together well. Everything made sense from the post-apocalyptic point of view. I've heard people complain about the color palette, but it makes sense if this certain "flash" bleached and burned the world. The cinematography was highly stylized, and that bugged me through most of the movie, until the plot explained it. Although, the fighting in this movie was smartly choreographed and planned. It was quick and dirty. Let's talk plot. Yes, this movie is about the last Bible on earth, but this is not a religious movie. The Book is merely a plot device, and it works well. It doesn't beat you over the head, yet the Book of Eli won't offend Christians. It walks the middle of the road quite well. Of course, the cast was top notch with Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman leading the pack. Okay, now that I've talked about all the main points, I'm going to get a little more personal. I'm going to own this movie someday. I was a little afraid of the use of the Bible in any way, because historically, films have done an amazing job at misrepresentation. This movie did not misrepresent the Bible, which I appreciated, being a Christian kid myself. I was simply amazed at this movie. It reminded me of the power of God, and I prayed and cried all the way home. This movie just made me love God more. I want to say more, but it would spoil it. All I can say is this movie is worth seeing.

Phipps overall: 4
Taught me something, it was smartly done, and I'm going to buy it.
Contact us at goolphipp@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment