Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Monday, January 4, 2010

Me and Orson Welles

Photo courtesy of movieimagesource.us
Goolphipp Award: 3 (Worth 11 Bucks)

Phipps:
If you were looking for a non-singing Zac Efron, this is not your movie. He does sing for a bit. If you are looking for High School Musical 4, this isn't it. This isn't a happy-go-lucky movie, and it isn't a slit-your-wrists-after-viewing movie either. I was disappointed with the end, merely because it was so realistic. I hated seeing a hopeful boy become slightly jaded about how the world works. It was done well. I felt that the man who unbashedly brought Orson Welles to the screen, Christian McKay - a relative unknown, did a wonderful job. As the movie itself points out, Orson Welles was brilliant in life. He was a character. I feel like there are very few who bring Orson Welles to life, so my hat is off to Mr. McKay.

All that being said, Me and Orson Welles wasn't a waste of time. I'm glad I saw it. It probably won't be in my collection, but it was a fun period piece.

Phipps overall: 3
Didn't rock my socks, but it was a good time.

Goolsby:
So, we went because we wanted to see if Zac Efron can stretch his wings and fly. Efron can fly, but he’s still a little shaky when handling a full drama movie. I think it was a good role for him. This movie seemed like it would be just the right amount of quirky. I’m still sort of on the fence about this movie. It had some good moments, but all in all, it’s a downer – a realistic downer, but a downer none the less. Here’s the basic plot: boy wants to make it as an actor, talks his way in, succeeds, and then realizes it might not be for him. It is your classic coming of age movie. I thought Claire Danes did a great job, but she seemed a bit out of place in the movie. I love period movies, this one takes place in the late 1930’s. I did really like the performance of Zoe Kazan who played Gretta. Zoe was also in Revolutionary Road. I think she’s a real solid actress.

Goolsby overall: 3
Good.
Contact us at goolphipp@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment