Search This Blog
Find a movie or an actor, anything you want.

Friday, January 1, 2010

Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire

Picture courtesy of www.thevine.com
Gool Award: 4.5 (No Peanuts Chucked)

Goolsby:
So this is the first one person review we have posted. I went to see this movie with my family over Christmas break. I wanted to share my thoughts on it, even though Phipps has not seen it yet.

This movie rips out a part of you while you are in the theater. I'll start with the waterworks aspect - I saw this with my mother and grandmother, and all of us had to compose ourselves before leaving the theater. This is definitely a tear jerker. Gabourey Sidibe plays the main character Precious. She is an overweight teen mother who had to enroll into an alternative school for troubled and pregnant teens. Her daughter Mongo is a child with down-syndrome who got her namesake from her mongoloid features. These details just break your heart. Mo'Nique plays her mother, and boy does she play it. Both Mo'Nique and Sidibe give performances that are beyond intense. Mo'Nique's character Mary is this vicious ill spirited monster. The things that Precious has to endure is almost too painful to watch. I'm not sure how either of them were able to get into the mindset to play their roles. I have to sort of give away the ending here, so click away now if you don't want a spoiler. In spite of it all Precious is able to prevail and learns how to make it on her own, that triumph is what really gets you. You leave feeling like you can take on the world, but you still can't get some of the images in the film out of your head. A+ to the whole entire cast.

On another note, I saw Sidibe on an episode of Ellen one day. That girl is full of life! It was so weird to see her on the show happy and spilling over with laughter and personality. Great actress. I think she even surprised Ellen, haha.

Goolsby overall: 4.5
Heart wrenching good. You walk out of this movie thanking your mother.

Contact us at goolphipp@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment